[Ffmpeg-devel] PPC Optimisation

carboncopy public carboncopy.public
Tue Jan 17 06:23:39 CET 2006

  I only have a G3 myself but need to enable Altivec
for other users of my program.

Am afraid that compiling it using your G3 will not enable AltiVec optimization.

As how I view ffmpeg now, it is highly customised to the machine you
are compiling on, unless you specifically made it not to do so.

As for compiling an AltiVec optimized version of your prog (whatever
it maybe); and still runs fine on G3. Yes it is possible. Apple have
documentation on this (Ref link below). I am not sure whether it has
been included into ffmpeg code. But I believe it has (gut feeling) as
it is a few lines of code only. Developers may confirm this. :)

Ref: http://developer.apple.com/hardware/ve/g3_compatibility.html

carboncopy