[Ffmpeg-devel] Threading in libavcodec

Bryan Mayland bmayland
Mon Jan 23 13:45:03 CET 2006

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> its always a tradeoff between speed, quality and complexity
> now i wanted to look at xvid, but i cant find any multithreaded code in cvs
> am i blind? IIRC there was some patch for multithreaded motion estimation
> on the xvid-dev list, is that what you are talking about?

    I wrote a proof of concept P-VOP motion search algorithm for xvid
which was a big hack and only worked under win32 in August.  I was
waiting on Skal to get his "slave threads" into CVS before I came up
with a workable cross-platform implementation.  Hack diff is here:
http://capnbry.net/~bmayland/xvid/

    However, Radek Czyz also wrote his own motion search that worked on
PVOPs and BVOPs in December.  I am unsure what the status is of his work.

    (These are both on the xvid-devel list, not CVS)