[Ffmpeg-devel] Threading in libavcodec

Mathieu Monnier m.monnier
Mon Jan 23 14:17:00 CET 2006

 > wait, you can always implement anything with 2 threads what can be done
 > with 1 binary identically, the question is how fast it is

Here are figures that can be found here :
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=753408#post753408

> Fourth, some random speed results (defaults, vhq4, NO bframes. X2
> 4200+ CPU).
>
> 1 thread : 1:48
> 2 threads : 1:05
> 3 threads : 1:06
> 4 threads : 1:08
> 16 threads: 1:11

So, as I said, it scales pretty well.

>i cant find any multithreaded code in cvs
>am i blind? IIRC there was some patch for multithreaded motion estimation
>on the xvid-dev list, is that what you are talking about?

I don't know where / how Radek posted his patches, and I'm not reading
xvid-devel ml.

>and last, keep in mind that the way lavc splits the image during
>multithreaded encoding has the advantage that it could also be decoded with
>multiple threads

Indeed, but you don't necessarily control who and with what it will be
decoded. And if we reverse the problem, if you have only a decoder, you
don't necessarily have control over how the encoding is done. So
multithreaded decoding on a slice basis isn't imho that useful, because
it needs control over both encoding and decoding. I'll admit however
that on low end computers - or with high definition AVC content - it
might be the only way to ensure realtime decoding.

Regards,

Mathieu