[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: OpenAVS Project Help Wanted

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Jul 7 11:43:16 CEST 2006

Hi

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 03:46:22AM -0400, zhou13 at netscape.net wrote:
> >Well, you're late.  We already have a decoder for Chinese AVS in
> FFmpeg
> >since a few days.  It was written by Stefan Gehrer.  You are of course
> >welcome to contribute to it...
>
> >Diego
>
> I was just planning to vectorize the code and Stefan already did it.
> The performance of the new code is /better/ than the official binary
> Directshow filter version that is released by the original AVS
> developers and better than the current openavs 1.0.3 release.  I would
> still like to retro-fit Stefan's patch back to the OpenAVS project
> because there wilare application scenarios that use only one codec (
> like in DVB and DMB ). So that will still be valuable. However, what is

its possible to disable codecs in ffmpeg so ffmpeg could be compiled with
just c-avs support for such scenarios

> done now is only the decoder part. Is there anyone who likes to make an
> open source AVS encoder?
>
> Also the audio part of the test bit streams you have access to are
> MPEG-1 Layer 3.  This is not what the AVS audio standard going to use.
> The audio standard uses techniques similar to AMR and is now in Final
> Committee Draft phase.

may i ask why for example vorbis is not simply used as audio codec?
it has good compression/quality and as far as we know is not covered
by patents