[Ffmpeg-devel] samples database

François Revol revol
Mon Jul 10 01:13:58 CEST 2006

> On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:41:11 -0700
> Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> wrote:
>
> > The idea depends of capabilities of MediaWiki that are of uncertain
> > existence (like per-page ACLs). I just thought of a possibly better
> > refinement: maintain an actual textual CSV file and store it under
> > revision control.
>
> How about svn then? Fine grained revision control and all that
> is needed. Additionally we have an fast webserver there, so
> we have no probs serving the files either.

Actually talking about SVN...

That kind of db stuff is something that would fit perfectly a queryable-extattr supporting fs... but of course Linux doesn't have that, barely posix xattrs.
Maybe using posix xattrs could be a way to store the meta-data, but they aren't searchable, so we'd need something else to index them.

However, svn has some things called properties, that look quite like attributes, (which some ppl wanted to use to make svn xattr-aware).
Maybe putting the samples themselves under svn and have ffmpeg -i fill in the props would be a solution. I don't know if svn has ways to search those props or check out empty files just to get props though.

Fran?ois.