[Ffmpeg-devel] Bug in libavutil/snow.c -> Generating internal compiler errors?

Olivier Engelkes riv
Fri Jul 14 01:14:05 CEST 2006

Diego Biurrun wrote:

>On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 09:41:58PM +0200, Olivier Engelkes wrote:
>

>>Wether I choose --cpu=arm or --cpu=xscale won't make any difference. The
>>compiler I made uses gcc 3.4.5 and glibc 2.3.6, and is known to work for
>>some heavy projects. Once snow.c is being compiled, gcc uses a lot of
>>resources, and then generates an internal compiler error ?!!? I looked
>>into snow.c and observed many FIXME statements.
>>

>Congratulations, you have found a bug in gcc.
>

>>Is this allready known? If so is anyone allready working on a fix?
>>

>Who knows?  Maybe some gcc developers read this list and can enlighten
>us ...
>

>>arm-softfloat-linux-gnu-gcc: Internal error: Killed (program cc1)
>>Please submit a full bug report.
>>See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
>>

>See, the output even contains instructions on what you have to do.  Why
>didn't you follow them?

Hi!

thank you for your kind assistance.

This being cross-compiling, and having built gcc myself using the
cross-tools from Dan Kegel, there is only _one_ person responsible for
gcc's bugs: me.

So yeah, I have submitted a bug report to myself, and I am investigating
this strange crash.

I had mixed experiences with various cross-compilers, and there are
often setbacks (just take a look at
http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.42/buildlogs/).

Still, this one gave me pretty good results, and is the only available
for my target platform and supporting the software I am porting to it.
So bad luck for me :-)

My question remains: are there currently any known bugs, or strange
behaviours emanating from snow.c?

If not, either I try to locate and fix the gcc bug, or I change the
source code from snow.c to circumvent the internal compiler error from
happening.

Best regards,

Olivier Engelkes