[Ffmpeg-devel] Possible bug when defining aspect

Alexandre Jorge Matos Pinto apinto
Fri Jul 14 19:16:04 CEST 2006

Hello, I've been using ffmpeg for six months now and i would like to
start by congratulate the developers in their excellent job. For me it
is the best movie converter tool for linux available, and I've tried a few.

The possible bug I've detected is that when some video options are
defined the "-aspect" option is ignored.
I use ffmpeg to convert AVI files to DVD compatible MPEGs.
For films with a video ratio below 2.0 i use an output aspect of 16:9,
ie, options "-target pal-dvd -aspect 16:9". It works fine.
For films with a video ratio above 2.0 i assume "cinemascope" and
therefore i add pads to top and bottom and use an aspect of 16:9, ie,
options "-target pal-dvd -s 720x436 -padtop 70 -padbottom 70 -aspect
16:9". The problem is that the "-aspect" options seems to be ignored and
the resulting film has an 4:3 aspect instead. I don't see why this can't
be done and therefore assume it must be a bug.
The reason i need 16:9 aspect is that and I'm counting with the
"panscan" capability of DVD players to allow an increase in film definition.

I've used the latest version from the "subversion" repository.

Thanks for your attention.
Alexandre Pinto