[Ffmpeg-devel] integrating AVS decoding into MPlayer

Måns Rullgård mru
Fri Jul 14 22:50:32 CEST 2006

Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> writes:

> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Exactly what I've been saying.  So why should any special weight be
>> given to the particular numbers used in avi files?  To the extent that
>> codecs without an entry in the avi table are unusable, no less.  Madness.
>
> For the most part, AVI was here first. That has a lot to do with why
> their FourCCs (and Microsoft's multimedia APIs and data structures in
> general) carry so much weight.

And I'm trying to say that giving them that much weight is a bad
idea.  It gets no better from the proliferation of non-standard,
ambiguous codes.  Designing a player (mplayer) or a file format (nut)
around something that isn't well-defined in the first place is only
asking for trouble.

To revisit the original problem, that of playing AVS video, enabling
it in tcvp required very little effort.  All I had to do was teach the
mpeg demuxer to detect it and set the codec of such streams to
"video/cavs" (or use lavf).  That and compile lavc with AVS support.
Since lavc advertises the supported codecs by name, it is
automatically selected when a decoder for "video/cavs" is requested.
No need for magic "fourcc" codes.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com