[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: integrating AVS decoding into MPlayer

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Jul 16 02:14:34 CEST 2006

Hi

On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 10:56:47PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
>
> > Hi

> >> For examples, about H264 you need to either choose either
> >> AVI(bytestream) wraping or MOV wraping. You shall standardize wraping
> >> for codecs (vorbis, dv, h264 comes in mind). Saying "just like in AVI"
> >> is stupid and will produce more mess than it is actually. Wraping is
> >> another problem than "identifying" codecs by a fourcc.
> >>
> >> And why not specifying BEST wraping method for codecs instead of using
> >> AVI one ?
> >>
> >> IMHO H264 NAL formating in MOV is better than in AVI. Not standardizing
> >> wraping is just laziness IMHO.
> >
> > h.264 specifies how things should be formated if iam not mistaken (dont kill
> > me if i remember this wrong, its some time since i read the spec) and that
> > is how things should be stored obviously ... mov does something different
> > its not a avi vs. mov question but a standard vs. non standard thing
>
> The H.264 spec only mentions the NAL format with SPS and PPS
> transmitted inband with the rest of the video data.  ISO 14496-15
> (along with -12 and -14) specifies the out of band version.

ok, it seems you are right the h.264 spec doesnt specify how nal units must
be "seperated" just that everything must be in a nal unit ...

> Both have
> advantages in the applications they were intended for.

i dont agree, theres no real advantage of the format used in mov compared
to simply putting the startcode prefixes infront of the NAL units