[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: integrating AVS decoding into MPlayer

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Jul 16 15:55:42 CEST 2006

Hi

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 01:35:49PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
>
> > Hi

> >> The H.264 spec only mentions the NAL format with SPS and PPS
> >> transmitted inband with the rest of the video data.  ISO 14496-15
> >> (along with -12 and -14) specifies the out of band version.
> >
> > ok, it seems you are right the h.264 spec doesnt specify how nal
> > units must be "seperated" just that everything must be in a nal unit
> >
> >> Both have advantages in the applications they were intended for.
> >
> > i dont agree, theres no real advantage of the format used in mov
> > compared to simply putting the startcode prefixes infront of the NAL
> > units
>
> The NAL bytestream format (H.264 Annex B) adds a startcode prefix in
> front of each NAL unit so the boundaries can be located within a
> stream.

yes

> In formats that, like MOV, already provide frame
> synchronization, there is no need for this extra overhead.

frame synchronization will not make the startcode prefixes for
slices, sps&pps, ... redundant so no i dont agree

> The same thing goes for SPS/PPS.  In a streaming context, like TV
> broadcast, the SPS/PPS must be transmitted inband since there is no
> other way of getting this data to the decoder.  In a file context, or
> streaming with a separate connection to each client, it is more
> efficient to store SPS and PPS in a file header (or send them to each
> client as they connect).

iam fully agreing here but thats not what i was talking about, i am not
talking about where the SPS & PPS are stored but how they are
mov uses a very weird method of reformatimg them while all it had to do was
just to leave the startcode prefixes before the SPS & PPS

also note, just in case anyone doenst know, AVI has a spot where a codec
can store a global header, SPS&PPS should be stored there, its just that
whoever first put mpeg4 / h.264 in avi decided due to stupidity not to put
the global headers there ...