[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] av_free() vs. av_freep()

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sun Jul 23 20:13:40 CEST 2006

Hello,
On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 01:52:45PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 01:18:14PM +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > I completely agree unless there are some occasions where it makes the code more
> > complicated (I don't think there will be any though).
>
> IMO it shouldn't happen -- using the address after the memory is freed
> is almost always a mistake, unless you're doing something like

I was more thinking of the fact that you always need a pointer variable
to use av_freep. You could "invent" a case where you e.g. would have to add
lots of variable declarations.
But this is a pointless discussion, we will see the moment someone comes
up with a patch, currently av_freep isn't even in libavutil yet it
seems.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger