[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: integrating AVS decoding into MPlayer

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi
Fri Jul 28 19:23:16 CEST 2006

Stefan Gehrer wrote:

>Hi,
>

>Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
>[snip]
>

>>OTOH if common applications like mencoder/ffmpeg/ffdshow support
>>X in avi then chances are that it will rather be adopted instead of a
>>new mess being invented by people who lack experience in multimedia
>>formats
>>

>Hmm, can I count this as a vote to create a new tag,
>possibly 'CAVS', for this format?
>That would pave an easy way to use the decoder in MPlayer, by just defining
>it in codecs.conf and decoding with 'mplayer -demuxer lavf foo.avs'.
>The other way would be to properly support it in MPlayer's MPEG demuxer.
>For this I adapted Mans' way of detecting AVS into it, but that still
>leaves me with two problems: Firstly, the demuxer delivers the bytestream
>truncated, and secondly I need to find some way to get the framerate across.

isn't there absolutely anything that qualifies an avs stream in mpeg-ps?
not even something totally non-standard "invented" by those long-sighted
engineers?
searching the video syncwords really sucks and I'd like to avoid it