[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: integrating AVS decoding into MPlayer

Måns Rullgård mru
Sat Jul 29 01:52:45 CEST 2006

Nico Sabbi said:
> Stefan Gehrer wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>

>>Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>
>>[snip]
>>

>>>OTOH if common applications like mencoder/ffmpeg/ffdshow support
>>>X in avi then chances are that it will rather be adopted instead of a
>>>new mess being invented by people who lack experience in multimedia
>>>formats
>>>

>>Hmm, can I count this as a vote to create a new tag,
>>possibly 'CAVS', for this format?
>>That would pave an easy way to use the decoder in MPlayer, by just defining
>>it in codecs.conf and decoding with 'mplayer -demuxer lavf foo.avs'.
>>The other way would be to properly support it in MPlayer's MPEG demuxer.
>>For this I adapted Mans' way of detecting AVS into it, but that still
>>leaves me with two problems: Firstly, the demuxer delivers the bytestream
>>truncated, and secondly I need to find some way to get the framerate across.
>>

> isn't there absolutely anything that qualifies an avs stream in mpeg-ps?
> not even something totally non-standard "invented" by those long-sighted
> engineers?

Nothing whatsoever.  The PS headers in the sample I looked at are
indistinguishable from a dvd vob file.

> searching the video syncwords really sucks and I'd like to avoid it

Me too, but it seems we have no choice here.  To make matters worse,
the specs are available only in Chinese.  I don't know which is quicker,
waiting for a translation or learning Chinese.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com