[Ffmpeg-devel] Trellis Quantization Applied To (A)DPCM

Loren Merritt lorenm
Sun Jun 4 02:08:31 CEST 2006

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Mike Melanson wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I see that Loren took Michael's suggestion seriously and applied
> Trellis quantization to the ADPCM encoder. This reminds me of discussions on
> MPlayer-devel about optimizing ADPCM decoding with SIMD instructions. :)
>
> 	So, can this be applied to, e.g., Creative YUV? I had wanted to write
> an encoder for that at one point but I sort of got stuck wondering about an
> optimal (quality-wise) method for creating the delta tables.
>
>  http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=CYUV

Trellis can tell you the optimal sequence of deltas in each line, but
can't determine the optimal table to choose them from.

The obvious heuristic would be: count up how many times each delta appears
in the frame, then run K-Means.

--Loren Merritt