[Ffmpeg-devel] [OT] Fwd: Re: How to compress mpeg files from my digicam?

Måns Rullgård mru
Wed Jun 7 20:27:01 CEST 2006

I just came across this message on the wonderful Usenet.  Looks like
we're getting somewhere.

---CUT---
> Before you ask, I run linux and I use mencoder, lav2yuv, yuvdenoise,
> yuvmedianfilter, and mpeg2enc to futz with .AVI and .MOV video clips.

You appear to be a Linux proponent.  Nothing wrong with that, so am I,
but have some questions about the state of Windoze video today.

Why does the video situation suck so bad?

Recently a friend sent me a movie that would not play in QuickTime--
which I upgrade every week it seems-- nor in Windows Media Player.
But it played just fine on Linux!

Do all the different video codec providers (Apple QT, M$ WMP, DivX,
the list goes on and on) want to make things as difficult as possible
for the consumer?  Is it just because they want to sell an encoder?

Finally, does mencoder on Linux provide competitive quality?
---CUT---

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com