[Ffmpeg-devel] ffmpeg doesn't build on RedHat Linux 3 - LD version 2.14

Matt Schuckmann mschuck
Fri Jun 16 20:55:01 CEST 2006

I don't know if this something anybody cares about but I just discovered
that ffmpeg doesn't build with versions of LD before 2.15.  The problem
appears to be that the -as-needed flag is passed to LD and that option
wasn't added to LD until 2.15.

The documentation on the website only says that you need GCC 3.2 which I
have but the system I was testing on has ld 2.14.90.

I have no problem upgrading to the newer version of binutils, I just thought
that this nugget of info might help someone out or that somebody with
experience with the configure script and make files might want to fix this
or add a warning to the webpage.

Matt S.