[Ffmpeg-devel] About swscale

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jun 29 09:27:37 CEST 2006

Hi

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 04:26:20AM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 23:50 +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
> > > Specifying an FFmpeg version with a
> > > revision would not include swscale.
> >
> > same as with mplayer and lavc/lavf, or even all external libs mplayer uses
>
> Yes, it's comparable to MPlayer and lavc/lavf, but I think it is a real
> problem with MPlayer too so it shouldn't be ignored here just because it
> already happens somewhere else.

you say extarnal is bad ...
now we have 2 seperate repositories for ffmpeg and mplayer, and its clear
nothing can be in both without being external in one unless you want to
duplicate it
maybe it would have been better if mplayer and ffmpeg would have been in the
same repository, i dunno, but what i do know is that this is a seperate problem
not something which i will allow to hold up the work on sws ...
we can finish the changes to sws and you can at the same time disscuss with
interrested parties how to redesign the repository structure to avoid
externals, nothing is lost by following this path, when you have a solution
we can always change to that, theres no need to delay the sws patches ...

> > > What are your requirements for an acceptable solution? I get the feeling
> >
> > first requirement: leave me out of this idiotic disscussion
> > second: distort the history as little as possible
>
> If you don't agree with what I consider to be the most practical
> solution but don't want to discuss your requirements further then I
> think trying to come up with alternative proposals based on just
> "distort the history as little as possible" would be a waste of my time.

your solution violates cvs policy, so unless you propose to change that and
of course people agree to the change its not worth further disscussion
cvs policy says (or at least did before the svn move) that moving files
with cvs remove / cvs add is unaceptable, and people have lost their cvs
accounts in the mplayer project for violating this IIRC ...