[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: HDTV, patents, DRM

Mike Melanson mike
Tue Mar 14 23:50:39 CET 2006

Dave Dodge wrote:
> True, though the content providers keep trying to add a "broadcast flag"
> to the system.

	I think this is a big factor that holds up adoption of HD content--
providers aren't willing to throw the switch unless they have some
assurance that the consumers can't save the raw data wholesale (I know,
it's a pipe dream on their part).

> I imagine he's talking about MPEG2 video, AC3 audio, and so on.  I'm
> pretty sure basic decoding and playback of that stuff involves
> numerous patents in the US.

	It's a factor in the U.K. as well which is one reason that the BBC
funded development of that Dirac video codec.

--
	-Mike Melanson