American quality standards. (was: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black )

Erik Slagter erik
Wed Mar 15 13:01:49 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 15:34 +0000, Dieter wrote:
> The RF is popular since antennas need RF (duh).  And most cable is
> analog and just plugs into the RF with no converter box needed.
> That's
> starting to change with digital cable, pay-per-view, and such.  Most
> VCRs have RF and composite out, a few high-end units have s-video.
> Component is pretty rare.

Ouch. It's silly for the TV set producers to wait for the STB producers
to implement RGB/component inputs and VV. Like I said, I haven't seen a
TV set without at least a scart input over here for ages, probably over
ten years, even the very cheapest ones. VCRs of course do not offer an
RGB signal, but DVD players do (at least the European ones). Don't have
US DVD players some sort of component output then?