consumers slow to upgrade to HDTV (was: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black )

Dieter ffmpeg
Wed Mar 15 11:54:51 CET 2006

In message <20060315141625.GA11666 at ikaruga.co.uk>, Jeff Clagg writes:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 05:35:43PM +0000, Dieter wrote:
> > Which I'm sure has nothing to do with the difficulty of finding a
> > display that actually resolves 1920x1080, the cost of such a display
> > if you can find one, and the artifacts and other problems of many of
> > the newer display technologies.
>
> This actually isn't the issue at all. Any decent ATSC or DVB receiver
> will output in various formats, usually including some standard-def
> formats. I have yet to encounter any receiver that doesn't have composite
> (RCA) output, for instance. And this includes very inexpensive receivers.
>
> I think at a minimum, consumers should expect a receiver to be able to
> output to their standard def TV using either component (RGB in europe)
> or composite/S-video.

If Joe and Jane Averageconsumer don't have a high-def display,
what is their motivation to rush out and buy a ATSC/DVB tuner
years before the analog broadcasts go away?