American quality standards. (was: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black )

Erik Slagter erik
Thu Mar 16 14:08:49 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 14:22 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> Just poking my head in here to note, for the little it's worth, that I
> (as a not-particularly-videophilic American) had never even *heard* of
> SCART until this discussion started; to the best of my knowledge I've
> never seen any hardware which supported it. I wouldn't be in the least
> surprised if the majority of American consumers were in much the same
> boat; indeed, I might well be surprised if that were *not* true.

SCART is a European thing. IIRC it was required by the French government
for sets sold there.

I am only mentioning it for the RGB feature. Actually I don't care if
it's either RGB or component, the quality is the same, and it seems no
one US device has RGB output anyway, they prefer component. Actually RGB
of course is also a sort of component system, but I fear I use that name
for both it will cause confusion.