[Ffmpeg-devel] How to reduce the ffmpeg avcodec.dll, avformat.dllsize

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Mon Mar 20 10:31:06 CET 2006

Jimmy Zha wrote:
> Hi,Michel Bardiaux,
>
> Thanks for your help:),i have got the lastest CVS version.  I figured
> it out with read the prediscussed in this MailList.Now the filesize
> is avcodec.dll(3.53mb),avformat.dll(408K).
>
> There are some tips for the future guys :):
>
> 1. Resolve the "Avcodec.dll staticly linking into the avformat.dll"
> problem,you can get the informations by search this MailList. This
> "bug" will appear while you compile the FFMpeg in MinGW.This point
> can reduce the avformat.dll to the normally size(about 1/10 of
> avcodec.dll).

Once again, *there is no such problem* with current CVS. You're sending
people on a useless search. And even if there were, you would help more
by posting a short summary instead of a 'search the archives'.

> 2. I use follow configure to compile the project:
>
> --enable-mp3lame --enable-gpl --enable-shared --enable-static
> --enable-memalign-hack --disable-audio-oss --disable-v41
> --disable-bktr --disable-mpegaudio-hp --disable-dv1394
> --disable-network --disable-zlib --disable-debug --disable-strip
> --disable-ffserver --disable-ffplay

Certainly not. configure in current cvs explicitly forbids simultaneous
shared and static.

> This point will reduce the avcodec.dll to 3.xx MB.Can anybody give a
> better configure:)? I still want to reduce the size.
>
>  I tried to enable/disable some encoder/decoder, but the effect is
> not very good.It just can reduce xx K :( .

3 tips, 2 are wrong, one completely lacking details. What are you trying
to do, irritate people?

--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director