[Ffmpeg-devel] Matroska Patch

Rich Felker dalias
Wed Mar 22 06:26:14 CET 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:58:42PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > > Then figure out why.  We don't support msvc, and will not accept
> > > arbitrary patches to make it work without an explanation.
> >
> > ANSI/ISO C does not allow you to use "time" as a symbol name with
> > external linkage, but it's totally valid to use it as a local variable
> > or with static linkage. If MSVC chokes on this, tough. MSVC users can
> > add -Dtime=MSVC_sucks_time to their compiler options...
>
> Or we could just rename the variable and make everyone's life a bit
> easier.  IMO this is one of the cases where we should budge.

I disagree strongly. Renaming variables because of a broken compiler
simply hides bugs in the compiler. If people keep seeing that they
have to make workarounds when using broken compilers maybe they'll
complain to the compiler vendor or switch to a standards-compliant
compiler. If we just hide the bug it encourages people to use this
crap.

This is the same as MPlayer's policy for not including bug-workarounds
for random gcc releases that crash with ICE and stuff.

Rich