[Ffmpeg-devel] New Video Codec for low grunt embedded CPU's

Peter Cech cech
Wed Mar 22 10:16:01 CET 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:41:01AM +1100, Steven Johnson wrote:
> Mike Melanson wrote:
>
> > Steven Johnson wrote:
>
> >> Do you think I
> >> should use a standard codec that already exists, and not re-invent the
> >> wheel?
> >

> >     It sounds like you know everything you want (which is everything).
> > Have you looked at all the current available technologies?
>
> I dont think I want everything, but in any event, isnt that what
> everyone who needs a codec wants?  Yet in the end, they end up with a
> compromise, its the nature of the compromise that sets the codecs
> apart.  What problems with a particular codec exist, that person A is
> happy to live with, while person B isnt.
>
> For example, in my case I cant live with encoding noise or errors, my
> application makes large use of animations with sizes are like 80x48
> pixels and 120x16 pixels, etc.  These animations are played on displays
> that are many feet across, so with such a low dot density, encoding
> errors really stand out, and look horrible.  What you can get away with
> when the pixels are tiny, you cant when they are 3-5mm in diameter, and
> viewed from a couple of meters.

Did you take a look at GIF and MNG?

If zlib is too slow for your application (decoding, right?), try
Z_HUFFMAN_ONLY, Z_RLE or Z_FIXED strategies when compressing, it should
speed up decompression as well (no ide how much).

Regards,
Peter Cech