[Ffmpeg-devel] Matroska Patch

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme
Wed Mar 22 14:16:01 CET 2006

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 11:27:16AM +0100, Steve Lhomme wrote:
>> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>> what do you do if you are allergic on lets say eggs, and someone knowing
>>> that
>>> always adds an egg to every piece of food they give you?
>>> hint: we are allergic on compiler bug workarounds
>> And I'm a pragmatic person. I fix things I can fix. I am not going to
>> fix MSVC, gcc or MinGW. I have better things to do.
>
> you workaround bugs you dont fix them

Regarding the compiler issues, I turn an error into something that
compiles (fine). I call that a fix.

>> Now if you don't accept fixes, that's your responsibility not mine.
>
> good changes get accepted buggy one are rejected, either fix you code
> or fork, broken code will not be accpeted you can call it whatever
> you like, call it critical and clean fixes if you like its still not
> going to be accepted (noone yet succeded in getting knowningly broken
> code accepted)

I suppose if I submited a bug with that background information, it would
have been totally ridiculous:
"cleanup codec_id mapping (untested)"

Anyway, I'm glad most of the patch made it to CVS. Matroska users will
thank you.

>> Most of the fixes found in this patch are fixes for *all* existing
>> Matroska files. I don't think I have to send any. Just open one in
>> FFMPEG and you'll see. I described all the fixes included in this patch.
>> So you have #1, #2, #3, #4.
>
> well,  you dont have to do anything, just if you want a bug fixed or
> patch accepted then you will have to follow the same rules as everyone else
> now if you had a constructive comment about the rules or suggestions
> for their improvement that would be fine too, but you just waste our time

I have nothing against the rules. Just the way code is turned down. Like
the MPEG2 fix I sent that you know better than me how to fix it, but you
didn't. I wish you would apply the same strict rules to you than anyone
else. Committing untested code and turning down tested fixes for
cosmetic reason is more than questionable.

Steve