[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: pixel format names in swscale

Michel Bardiaux michel
Fri Mar 24 12:28:29 CET 2006

Luca Abeni wrote:
> Hi Baptiste,
>
> On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 09:58 +0100, Baptiste COUDURIER wrote:
>
>>Luca Abeni wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>which stile of pixel format name should we pass to sws_getContext()?
>>>ffmpeg style (PIX_FMT_*) or mplayer style (IMGFMT_*)?
>
> [...]
>
>>IMHO it would be better to use ffmpeg style. Also, future libavfilter
>>will need those definitions, it might be the time to create another header.
>
> Yes, this would be my preference too... I think moving enum PixelFormat
> to avutil.h would be the best option, but an additional header would
> probably be ok too.

Just a suggestion on the side: would this not be a good time to change
the definition of RGBA32 from endian-dependent to strict byte order,
i.e. have RGBA32 and ABGR32 (maybe ARGB32 and BGRA32 would be useful
too). Currently, img_convert is not able to convert directly to the
pixel formats necessary for many X-servers. Since the internal format is
YUV is most of the code, the amount of impacted source might not be
catastrophic. Of course an RGBA32NATIVE could still be kept.

> But I had to rewrite my patch too many times, so before going on I'd
> like to be sure that this solution is acceptable :)
>
> 			Thanks,
> 				Luca

HaND,
--