[Ffmpeg-devel] [BUG] Crash in has_altivec()

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Tue Mar 28 09:16:37 CEST 2006

Hi Diego,

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 18:44 +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:42:29PM +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
> >
> > I noticed that current CVS crashes on my iBook when trying to understand
> > if the processor has altivec (I do not think it has).
>
> This is a known problem that needs to get fixed.  Currently AltiVec gets
> enabled when the machine can compile AltiVec code.  This is awfully
> wrong of course...
I do not know altivec, but looking at the code it seems that libavcodec
tries to do some kind of runtime detection, by checking if altivec is
present before using it. So, it seems that compiling altivec even if the
CPU does not support it is not wrong.

The problem is that the function that should discover if altivec is
present (has__altivec()) does not work as intended :(

I tried to have a look, and it seems that the code tries to handle
SIGILL... But the program still crashes. I'll not be able to access my
iBook before the next weekend, but I'll try to debug the problem in the
weekend (if noone fixes it before).

			Thanks,
				Luca