[Ffmpeg-devel] h.264 encoding with PPC build of x264 works on Intel Mac - Intel build fails

Laine Lee llee
Wed Mar 29 00:00:14 CEST 2006

On 3/28/06 2:46 PM, "M?ns Rullg?rd" <mru at inprovide.com> wrote:

>> --enable-memalign-hack and --disable-mmx for the ffmpeg build on Intel.
>
> Why did you use those options?

I read that others had found them necessary, and I wasn't able to
successfully compile without them.  *However*, I've just discovered that
--enable-memalign-hack  is not necessary if --disable-mmx is included.
Here's my complete configuration, but as a reminder, I was able to get this
form of ffmpeg to work with x264, but only with the x264 compiled for PPC.
That leads me to believe that the problem is primarily with my x264
executable, but I'm posting here because my command is arguably more
specific to ffmpeg.

--enable-faac --enable-faad --disable-vhook --disable-ffplay
--disable-ffserver --enable-a52 --enable-x264 --enable-pthreads --enable-gpl
--disable-mmx

>> When I compile and run the following command on Intel, I get "illegal
>> instruction".
>
> Stack trace etc?  http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/bugreports.php

Thanks for the invitation. The normal output appears when I run the debugger
but instead of the usual displayed encoding progress which would appear if
everything was OK (as when using the PPC build of x264) or the "illegal
instruction" message that appears when I'm observe the problem without the
debugger, I see "Program exited with code 0204."

>> Any chance the cvs for ffmpeg will soon be able to be compiled without
>> having to add --disable-mmx?
>
> Does mmx not work on macintels?

>From a previous post to the ffmpeg users list by Herve Flores, I understand
that there may be a problem with Mac OS X Developer Tools that prevents
successful compiling with mmx enabled. I have read elsewhere of reported
success in solving the problem, but I don't believe I have the expertise to
do it without some fairly meticulous guidance. I'd much rather boost my
ffmpeg build to include mmx capability rather than drag my x264 down to work
without it, but beggers can't be choosers. If anyone would care to share the
method for solving the problem either way, I'll be very grateful for your
help. Thanks.

--
Laine Lee