[Ffmpeg-devel] compiler warnings

Roman Shaposhnick rvs
Fri Mar 31 00:23:11 CEST 2006

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:37:29PM +0100, Mans Rullgard wrote:
> Roman Shaposhnick <rvs at sun.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:15:35AM +0100, Mans Rullgard wrote:
> >> The proper way to run a company is not to have the employees write code
> >> that any fool can "understand", but to hire competent programmers that
> >> can both read and write good code.  Promoting good programmers to managers
> >> is also a bad idea, which unfortunately many companies have failed to
> >> understand.
> >
> >   Of course it is the right way to run the company, but from a
> >   developer's point of view (have geeks conquered the earth
> >   already?). The first thing a hypothetical PHB has to worry about
> >   is what is he going to do when that bunch of "competent
> >   programmers that can both read and write good code" he's just
> >   hired leaves for Google.
>
> Easy: make the company as attractive to work for as Google.

  Well, that *is* tricky. My personal experience has taught me that
  attractiveness of the company has nothing to do with the salary ranges,
  its business or even the stuff you have to work on. It is a combination
  of a lot things (including the ones mentioned above ;-)) and represents
  a pretty hard socio-economical nut to crack.

> Some companies/managers have understood this, and offer
> good enough salaries to attract competent programmers.

  See, attracting is not a big deal -- retaining is.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. Is it OT already ? ;-)