[Ffmpeg-devel] Flash 8 (FLV) File Specificaton out

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Mar 31 13:35:43 CEST 2006

Hi

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 11:57:29AM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> Michael Niedermayer said:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 06:47:01AM +0200, :: Gerd Hilgemann / Onlinelib.de ::
> > wrote:
> >> v8 of Flash (SWF) and Flash Video (FLV) specification is available
> >> The Macromedia Flash (SWF) and Flash Video (FLV) File Format Specification
> >> (Version 8) went live on the licensing center today!
> >> I know a lot of people have been waiting for it, and we appreciate your
> >> patience.
> >>
> >> register for free the sdk and download the pdf!
> >>
> >> LINK: http://www.macromedia.com/licensing/developer/
> >
> > from their FAQ:
> > ---------
> > Can I use the File Format Specification to create a SWF interpreter or player?
> >
> > No, the File Format Specification is provided for the specific purpose of
> > enabling software applications to export to the Macromedia Flash File Format
> > (SWF).
> >

> > Can I use the File Format Specification to create a Flash Video encoder or a
> > Flash Video streaming service?
> >
> > No, the File Format Specification is provided for the specific purpose of
> > enabling software applications to export to the Macromedia Flash File Format
> > (SWF).
>
> Is this legally enforcable, or is it just FUD?

well, the FAQ certainly isnt (IANAL) but maybe they have some EULA you must
agree too before you can download the spec, and that might be enforcable in
some places i dunno, IANAL ...

Michael