[Ffmpeg-devel] Partial frame decode in avcodec?

Måns Rullgård mru
Wed May 10 20:46:38 CEST 2006

"Matt Schuckmann" <mschuck at imoveinc.com> writes:

> I've been experimenting with the avcodec library for a couple of months now
> as a replacement for an old implementation of the MPEG4 codec. So far
> avcodec is working great and totally blows the old codec away in all
> categories.
>
> The one thing I haven't been able to find in avcodec that I kind of need is
> the ability to decode only a part of a frame.
>
> The old codec supported this via a SetView() function that took a height and
> width and upper left corner of the region of interest. I primarily used this
> to reduce the decode processing time since often the user is only looking a
> small part of a very large frame and large processing time savings could be
> had by decoding only the visible part of the frame.

What happens if a predicted block depends on pixels outside the
region?  Are you sure your old decoder didn't simply decode the full
frame and crop it for you?

> Can anybody tell me if avcodec supports this type of feature for MPEG4? Or
> for any other codec?

There is no such thing in lavc.  Cropping the image after decoding is
easy to do separately.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com