[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: LGPL'ed EAC3 Decoder

Michel Lespinasse walken
Sat May 13 10:51:08 CEST 2006

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 02:55:47PM +1000, Kartikey Mahendra BHATT wrote:
> > > And the task for SoC will most likely only
> > > be an AC3 decoder. Not E-AC3 because the lack of samples for it.
>
> IMHO AC3 and E-AC3 differ little in bit stream syntax and and as per the
> standard an E-AC3 decoder should be able to decode AC3 bit stream as
> well. As I am also planning to implement Alternate Bit Stream Syntax , I
> think that putting a little more effort to decode E-AC3 will be a
> worthwhile effort even though the samples for it are not available.

There are 3 standards here:
A52   ("AC3")
A52/A
A52/B ("E-AC3")

A52/A is very similar to A52 with just a few extensions related to mixing.
The differences really are trivial.

A52/B however, is quite more advanced than A52.

When you say E-AC3 is only a little bit more effort, I can't tell
wether you mean A52/A or A52/B. If you mean A52/B then I suspect
you're wrong, but I'll be very happy if you implement it anyway :)

--
Michel "Walken" Lespinasse
"Bill Gates is a monocle and a Persian cat away from being the villain