[Ffmpeg-devel] Gray Scale decoding of MPEG4 dataanddebugginglibavcodec

Diego Biurrun diego
Wed May 17 15:30:26 CEST 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 03:47:03PM -0700, Matt Schuckmann wrote:

> > > It looks like the addition of the version number to the shared
> > > library file names (i.e. avcodec.dll.51) messes with the Microsoft
> > > linker. The only way I could get MSVC to link with the shared
> > > libraries was to do away with the SLIBNAME_WITH_MAJOR target
> > > in common.mak and restore it to the way it was in rev 1.267 of
> > > common.mak, then link would create the lib file for the dll and
> > > everything played nice.
>
> > Please try the attached patch.
>
> The patch appears to work, thank you. Although, I think it might be better
> to produce avcodec_51.dll instead of avcodec.51.dll

Dunno, opinions?

> And yes in the *nix world they often put version numbers in the library file
> names but they also commonly use links to create an un-versioned file name
> to link against, a good example of this is the boost library, who by the way
> in there windows build produce un-versioned copies of the libraries as well
> as the versioned ones.

This is the standard way of handling things in Unix.  It avoids DLL
hell, because you can either use the unversioned lib (usually the newest
available one) or an explicit version if you depend on it.

Diego