[Ffmpeg-devel] Quick question about snow

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml
Wed May 24 18:35:59 CEST 2006

Luca Abeni wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am doing some experiments with the snow codec, and I am wondering how
> difficult would it be to implement 1-pass rate control in snow...
>
> I do not know much about the rate control code, but I'd like to encode
> snow video in real-time, respecting some bandwidth constraints. Would it
> be possible to encode snow video respecting rc_max_rate, rc_min_rate,
> and rc_buffer_size?
> How difficult would it be to do this?

I have no idea how difficult it would be, but if you were to add
first-pass ratecontrol to snow I would be very grateful, and I'm sure
many others would appreciate it. As far as I know that's the only thing
holding snow back from behaving like a production-level codec,
experimental status aside.

-Corey