[Ffmpeg-devel] Accepted SoC Apps

Mike Melanson mike
Thu May 25 21:04:12 CEST 2006

Denis Fortin wrote:
> I'm also interested in participating for free.
> I'm interested in the encoding part of VC-1 or AAC.
> How much  relevant is doing an encoder project before the end of the
> decoding project ?

Being able to encode specially contrived data in a particular manner can
be very useful for writing a decoder.

The punchline is that an encoder, a very basic and inefficient one, can
be trivial compared to a full-featured decoder. Monitor the specs I am
writing:

   http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Understanding_VC-1
   http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Understanding_AAC

and look for ways to encode very basic bitstreams. Then, test them
against the official decoder.

When I first wrote an SVQ1 encoder, I simply interated over 16x16 blocks
and encoded the average for each. Apple's QuickTime Player actually
played the encoded video, which was very blocky. But the syntax was correct.

--
	-Mike Melanson