[Ffmpeg-devel] FLAC encoder

Justin Ruggles jruggle
Fri May 26 09:24:35 CEST 2006

Hello,

My FLAC encoder has progressed to a point that I am happy with.  Test it
out, and see what you think.  If the developers show an interest in
including this in FFmpeg, I will consolidate the files and adapt it for
inclusion.

Here are some strengths and weaknesses as compared to libFLAC.

Weak point: In general, it is not as fast since libFLAC uses some
assembly optimization.  The exception to this is high-compression mode
(see below).

Weak point: I have found a few very noisy samples that do not compress
quite as well as with libFLAC.  This may have to do with the fact that
my encoder does not use verbatim encoding mode at all...I'm not 100%
sure though.

Strong point: In high-compression mode (10), in most of the cases I have
tested, it is on average ~30% faster and has better compression than
"flac -8".  The speed difference might vary on different systems.  My
tests were on an AMD K6-2 running Linux.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jruggle/flake/flake-current.tar.bz2

Enjoy,
-Justin