[Ffmpeg-devel] v4l2 arbitrary field order support

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Tue May 30 09:05:02 CEST 2006

Hi Richard,

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 15:52 +1000, Richard wrote:
> To all you v4l2 developers out there...
> I have a relatively recent version of the ffmpeg source which I'm
> using within Fedora Core 5. I have two issues:
>
> 1. The configure script and the v4l2.c file both use videodev.h which
> my development box doesn't seem to like. Once I replace this with
> videodev2.h everything seems to clear up (configure sees v4l2 support
> and v4l2.c compiles correctly). Can this change be patched into the
> main source head without disrupting every other v4l2 user?
I am all for this change; I just need to test it on some other
distribution and then I'll commit it (it seems that every linux
distribution likes to break v4l2 compilation in new ways :).
I tried to answer your first mail about this subject, but my mail
bounced; sorry for the delayed answer

> 2. I'm trying to use v4l2 without interlacing and I've noticed that
> at line 161 (or there about) the field format is hardcoded to
> V4L2_FIELD_INTERLACED.
Yes, I did that because I expect PAL or NTSC video to be always
interlaced.
Of course the situation can be improved and if there is some way to make
this flag configurable, I'll be happy to commit the necessary changes.

> I can't quite see a nice way to add arbitrary
> field order support without adding an extra field to the
> AVFormatParamaters structure. Is there another way I can be doing
> this?
Well, adding an extra field to AVFormatParamaters is the only way I can
see... Maybe someone who knows the libavformat API better than me can
suggest another way?

				Thanks,
					Luca