[Ffmpeg-devel] qprd and frames being stuck at high quants

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml
Thu Nov 2 20:42:53 CET 2006

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> there where some bugreports aout $subj a long time ago, but all the
> sample videos seem to have dissapeared, if that bug is still happening
> for anyone, then please upload a sample source file which causes it
> (with command line options ...)

No problem with high quantizers so far, but I did find a possible small
usability bug. When encoding with vqmin=1:lmin=1, qprd appears to be
nearly preventing the use of quantizer=1. At very high requested
bitrate, this makes the output bitrate and PSNR much lower.

for i in 1:turbo 2 ; do
   mencoder matrix.vob -nosound -vf crop=718:356:0:60,scale=640:272 \
   -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
   vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=16000:psnr:mbd=2:vqmin=1:lmin=1:vpass=$i \
   -ofps 24000/1001 -o test.avi -frames 2400
done

Video stream: 7794.736 kbit/s
PSNR: Y:49.91, Cb:50.19, Cr:50.72, All:50.08