[Ffmpeg-devel] H264 RTP + quicktime

Jerry Johns jerry.johns
Thu Nov 2 22:15:21 CET 2006

My Framer that I developed follows the RFC spec for H264 closely (using non
interleaved, FUA Fragmenting, chopping up on NAL units)

However, I cant even get my base H264 file without streaming on to play in
quicktime; the only way I can play it is if I wrap it in MP4 using mp4box,
And then it plays like a charm

I have tried opening my stream with quicktime, doesn't work neither

The only way around is it to use MP4 RTP streaming, in which case I'll have
to wrap my data into mdat, moov, etc. atoms in the container and that's
where I need the help

I need to know how the MP4 file is chopped up into RTP packets (I wish there
was an RFC spec for this that shows it as clearly as the H264 spec)

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Derk-Jan Hartman [mailto:hartman at videolan.org]
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 4:08 PM
To: FFmpeg development discussions and patches
Cc: Jerry Johns
Subject: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] H264 RTP + quicktime

On 2-nov-2006, at 16:42, Jerry Johns wrote:
> I've already gotten a H264 Framer + RTP packetizer working, and it
> streams
> absolutely well to a VLC Client, and plays without a hitch;
>
> My next step is to get this to work in quicktime, and that's where
> I need
> the mp4 container to work

Why? RTP has nothing to do with mp4 file muxing. If you can stream to
VLC, you should be able to stream to QuickTime.
That is:

1 as long as you don't use any of the h.264 codec options that QT
doesn't support (QT doesn't support H264 very well)
2 you write the SPS/PPS to the SDP file
3 you only use 1 slice (at least i haven't been able to use more than
1 slice when doing VLC h264 RTSP to quicktime. If someone figures out
why, i'm all ears).

> The ISO files you mention, I cant seem to download them as I don't
> have
> access to them

Then you'll just have to look around very hard for someone who
accidently left them somewhere, or pay up the fee that is required to
read/use this standard.

> What I now need to do is a)find out general info on the MP4
> container and
> b)how it relates to the H264 stream and c)streaming MP4 over RTP

See above.

DJ