[Ffmpeg-devel] H264 RTP + quicktime

Tom Harper d.thomas.harper
Fri Nov 3 18:46:39 CET 2006

Hi,

re:
At 08:38 AM 11/3/2006, Ryan Martell wrote:
>If I'm understanding you right, I think the problem is just that
>QuickTime buffers, so that it has some buffer room in case of network
>hiccups.  This MAY be affected by the connection speed preference in
>the QuickTime preferences.

The decoded picture buffer size is theoretically supposed to be
calculated based on level_idc along with the picture resolution-
if you look at rfc 3984 you can see that there is a param
called max-dpb which (if supported) you could use to set
a max for the buffering.  Otherwise, try lowering your level_idc.
You may need to refer to the H264 spec to find an appropriate
level (1.3 is a good baseline up to 352x288), 30 is another good
baseline for dvd style content.

YMMV- this hasn't worked for me (so far) with h264 clients I have
interop tested with but it may work in streaming environments-
am curious to know.

Tom