[Ffmpeg-devel] HDTV h264 autodetection

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman
Sat Nov 4 19:13:21 CET 2006

On 4-nov-2006, at 19:04, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> matthieu castet <castet.matthieu at free.fr> writes:
>> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>>> Tuning with tzap, then cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 might work.
>>>
>> Thanks, it was a bit more complex than that (I have to tell dvb core
>> that I want all the stream on dvr0).
>>
>> IIUC dvb tools are not ready for hdtv : instead of using PMT, they
>> read PMT once and store pids for a channel in categories (video,
>> audio, ac3, ...), so they assume video = mpeg2.
>
> This has nothing to do with HD or not.  A transport stream without PMT
> is *invalid*, and anything that creates such things is broken.  The
> tools in question were always broken, but it has become more apparent
> with HDTV as H.264 is commonly used there.

FYI:
The VLC media player users have often reported this issue (both in
VLC forums and to the dvbstream developers), but the dvbstream ppl
have so far refused to fix this issue and have stated multiple times
that a PMT is not required for a valid MPEG-TS stream, and that there
is nothing wrong with their program.

They really ought to read that specification one day.

DJ