[Ffmpeg-devel] 4XM audio codec_tag

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sun Nov 5 17:44:24 CET 2006

Hello,
On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 05:15:49PM +0100, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > libavformat/4xm.c sets st->codec->codec_tag = 1 for 4XM audio.  This
> > seems wrong, codec_id 1 would be PCM audio.  ffplay seems to be able to
> > cope with this, but MPlayer cannot.
> >
> > So what codec_id could/should be used in this case?  4XMA seems to work
> > fine, any other suggestions?  Does it have to be a TwoCC?
>
> set codec_id to what it is supposed to be CODEC_ID_ADPCM_4XM, and don't
> set codec_tag. Format that does not support fourcc should not set
> codec_tag, anyway.
>
> If mplayer cannot dectect CODEC_ID_ADPCM_4XM, use a conversation table
> between CODEC_ID_ADPCM_4XM and whatever mplayer wants to use as internal
> fourcc.
>
> This is becoming more and more problematic...

Not really, it's just that I want MPlayer to respect the codec_tag if
set by the demuxer. The only part the is IMO "necessary" is removing this
bogus codec_tag, which seems to be okay with everyone.
Of course (mis-)using riff.c is easier, simpler, was done all the time,
will allow files created with mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy to work in
ffmpeg out of the box etc., but is not a necessity. Though I guess we
will continue to suggest this way as long as the best response seems to
me to be something like "I don't like AVI/FourCCs/TwoCCs" from maybe two
people and no clear statement from anyone else. Or have I missed
something?

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger