[Ffmpeg-devel] 4XM audio codec_tag

Måns Rullgård mru
Sun Nov 5 20:05:21 CET 2006

Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> Hello,
> On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 06:04:30PM +0100, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
>> My response is what I said earlier:
>> "use a conversation table between CODEC_ID_* and whatever mplayer wants
>> to use as internal fourcc."
>
> MPlayer does this already. It's just that this table is the same as the
> one in riff.c currently, thus we are using that.
> I have also provided reasons why it is a good idea for those tables
> to be the same (at least for video, some arguments may fail for
> audio).  Micheal seems to agree. Mans and you obviously disagree,
> but I have not seen (might of course be my fault) reasons why they
> should not be and how to decide which tags go into riff.c and which
> not (well, one criteria was if they are already in use in AVI. But
> that will mean new codecs can not be muxed into avi with ffmpeg).

The tables in riff.c should only be used by RIFF based formats (AVI
and WAV) and formats that by definition use the same ID codes.  The
latter are things like OGM (RIFF headers in Ogg stream) and Matroska
(can contain RIFF headers as extradata).  Any other use of those
tables is invalid.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com