[Ffmpeg-devel] 4XM audio codec_tag

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sun Nov 5 21:17:37 CET 2006

Hello,
On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 07:51:27PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:
> > RIFF based format do not "use" tables since they are data an thus have
> > not the ability to "do" anything at all besides exist.
>
> I think you know what I mean, and are simply nit-picking for the sake
> of it.  How about I rephrase it like this instead: The tables in
> riff.c should only be used by muxers/demuxers for RIFF based
> formats...

Yes, that is exactly how I understood it. And that is what I see as
complete nonsense. The question is about which entries should be in the
table and which not. What difference does it make if someone else uses
them or not?

> > The best I can make of this criteria is that, except for the audio
> > fourccs, there is no reason not to include any of them here, because
> > as soon as we add them to MPlayer they are used in AVI.
>
> Does the phrase "format bastardization" mean anything to you?  Do you
> know what the word "standard" means?

So what do you suggest? Keeping to the standard? Only allowing the tags
that are in the official Microsoft registry? I don't mind, that is a
clear criteria, and won't really hurt MPlayer. But I find it hard to
image that this is really what is wanted.
And yes, I know this is not really what you meant.
So I'll stop feeding the flames now and just add stuff to MPlayer. Then
you can continue to dream on about a working global codec registry.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger