[Ffmpeg-devel] moving non-SIMD parts of libswscale to LGPL

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Fri Nov 10 15:47:16 CET 2006

Hi all,

a good number of swscale authors agreed to relicense the non-SIMD parts
as LGPL (I still need to contact some authors, I hope there will be no
problems for what concerns swscale* and rgb2rgb*), so I started looking
at preparing a patch for this...

The problem is that I've not been able to contact the authors of
yuv2rgb* (most of the email addresses listed in the files headers are
not valid anymore, and my emails bounched).
Since such files are only used for fast unscaled conversions and swscale
should be able to work even without them (as pointed out by Michael), I
tried to compile libswscale without using yuv2rgb*.

But swscale.c and swscale_template.c use some tables that are contained
in yuv2rgb.c... Since (I think - please correct me if I am wrong) tables
are not copyrightable, I linked them in the LGPL version of the
library... But then yuv2rgb_c_init_tables() is needed...
So, the attached patch seems to work, but it is linking some code from
yuv2rgb.c... And I do not think it is legal to link such (GPLed) code
treating it as LGPLed.

Since I do not know much about that code, I do not know if it is
possible to obtain a working libswscale without linking any code from
yuv2rgb.c... Can anyone help me?

			Thanks,
				Luca
                               N O    W A R ! ! !