[Ffmpeg-devel] Externally visible symbols without ff or av prefix

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Sun Nov 12 15:32:15 CET 2006

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 03:17:09 +0000
M?ns Rullg?rd <mru at inprovide.com> wrote:

> Aurelien Jacobs <aurel at gnuage.org> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 02:45:19 +0100
> > Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi

> >> for the ones which arent used outside ff* just rename them whenever
> >> you want
>
> I assume if they're not declared in the installed headers, renaming
> should be safe.
>
> > IMO, for those one (ie. the one which are not part of public API),
> > the problem is not their name, but the fact that they are visible
> > externally.
> > I don't think renaming them is a so good idea. Making them invisible
> > seems to be a better idea (using the visibility attribute ?).
>
> We already had a flame war about the visibility attribute.  Besides,
> the visibility attribute, or the equivalent using linker scripts, only
> works for shared libraries.  We should still rename them so the static
> libs don't pollute the namespace.

Well, seeing the list of symbols, I agree that some of them could use
a better name or might benefit from a prefix.
OTOH some of them, such as vp56_*, are already properly prefixed and
adding one more random prefix to them probably won't do any good.

Aurel