[Ffmpeg-devel] Externally visible symbols without ff or av prefix

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò flameeyes
Mon Nov 13 20:35:30 CET 2006

On Monday 13 November 2006 14:18, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> But I doubt that a `cat libavcodec/*.c > lavc.c` would be very welcomed
> (I won't even talk about the gigabytes of RAM that gcc would require to
> compile this ;-).
Well, maybe not that many... KDE does something like that (--enable-final at
configure enable that feature), the result is told to be better, but I
actually doubt so... it takes less time to build, for sure (less linking
time, that's what usually kills KDE builds, GNU ld is quite slow).
Considering that C++ code used by KDE requires a lot more RAM than C code
compiling requires, the only part of the code _really_ able to DoS a machine
is KMail, that requires between 3.5 and 4 GB of RAM to complete the build..
it can easily bog down a machine for good.

I suppose that if you were to build the whole FFmpeg in a single .c file
(maybe with #include, rather than cat, that would make it have more sense),
the required memory would be around 400/500 MB, not much more for C code,
strangely enough GCC does a work some magnitude levels better with C than C++
code when it comes to memory usage, I've seen GCC compiling a 10MB C source
file not going over 50MB of memory, while a 9MB C++ source file takes about
500MB.

And before I'm called names again, no I don't like such an approach myself, I
just happen to know this because I get users whining about KMail taking down
their systems.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Petten? - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Sound, ALSA, PAM, KDE, CJK, Ruby ...