[Ffmpeg-devel] moving non-SIMD parts of libswscale to LGPL

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Nov 14 12:57:35 CET 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 03:59:52PM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> >But yes, the LPGL version
> >lacks quite some features, when there is the decision between getting a
> >feature under the GPL or not at all, I have no problem at all with the
> >former. Those who have should speak up in time,
>
> The agenda was not stated that clearly. Yes, with hindsight, its clear,
> but it wasnt at the time.

Michael said that he was only going to relicense the non-SIMD parts from
day one...

> >and towards the authors, you can't expect others to argue for
> >something that is not their goal...
>
> If someone's goal is to force a mutation of the license to GPL, that is
> not acceptable.

Acceptable by whom exactly?

> >And just to state my opinion: decoders and demuxers by all means should
> >be LGPL'd, everything else I wouldn't mind if it was GPL-only.
>
> I would. The moral contract for ffmpeg is LGPL, and should remain so.

This "moral contract" is something you have just made up out of thin
air.  The authors of the code are free to decide the licensing without
any regard to whether the outcome pleases you or not.

Diego