[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] mms support

Ryan Martell rdm4
Wed Nov 15 05:54:16 CET 2006

Hi...

I was looking at adding mms support to ffmpeg.

I read the old threads about this, and the primary reason for not
doing it was a GPL issue.

I have downloaded libmms from sourceforge, which claims to be LGPL'd,
with all permissions gained.  Unfortunately, it still linked against
the Glib Gnet, which is GPL.  I have now ripped out the dependency
(simply parsing of the uri and byteswapping), so it should be totally
LGPL.  With the VC1 codec stuff working as well as it does, this
would allow ffmpeg to natively support streaming WM files..

I know I would need to add another protocol handler, but I'm curious
how to wire that up to work in conjuction with the asf code (which is
what I would need to use to parse the header).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Ryan