[Ffmpeg-devel] moving non-SIMD parts of libswscale to LGPL

Måns Rullgård mru
Wed Nov 15 20:06:16 CET 2006

Michel Bardiaux <mbardiaux at mediaxim.be> writes:

> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>>> Oh, I'm quite aware of the theory. But it covers *distribution*,
>>> not *development* aspects.
>>>
>>> Let's assume someone here tables a proposal to change everything to
>>> GPL.
>> Are you aware of the fact that FFmpeg was once GPL but was
>> relicensed to
>> LGPL later on.  IIRC under somewhat shady circumstances, I'd appreciate
>> mailing list archive links.
>
> svn log COPYING shows it added, with LGPL, on 2002-05-26 by
> glantau. Before that, anyone remembers which file indicated the
> license?

It used to be GPL.  Check out an old revision of e.g. ffmpeg.c and see
for yourself.  The change happened in r587 on 2002-05-25.

>>> What will happen?
>> You will flame.
>
> I would appreciate a serious answer. And what I write can hardly be
> called flaming: no profanity, no gratuitous insults, no bad spelling...

Nobody said you were flaming now, only that you would if someone
proposed a change to GPL.  There's a difference...

>>> What will the decision process be?
>> You will not be a part of it, that's for sure.
>
> Interesting. Who will be, selected on what basis?

Those who have copyrightable code in the current version.

>>> Who gets to keep the unqualified name 'ffmpeg'? The www.ffmpeg.org domain?
>> This is owned by Fabrice.
>
> Facts, facts... According to http://www.gandi.net/whois :
>
>> domain: FFMPEG.ORG
>>   reg_created: 2002-04-26 18:34:36
>>   expires: 2007-04-26 22:34:36
>>   created: 2002-04-27 00:34:37
>>   changed: 2006-07-31 12:00:23
>>   ns0: full1.gandi.net
>>   ns1: full2.gandi.net
>>   transfer-prohibited: yes
>>   owner-c:
>>     owner-name: charles maga

Another of Fabrice's aliases.

> --
> Michel Bardiaux
> R&D Director
> T +32 [0] 2 790 29 41
> F +32 [0] 2 790 29 02
> E mailto:mbardiaux at mediaxim.be
>
> Mediaxim NV/SA
> Vorstlaan 191 Boulevard du Souverain
> Brussel 1160 Bruxelles
> http://www.mediaxim.com/

How many times have we asked you now to trim your signature a little?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com